Chocolate has to be one of my favourite things. Now I have cut out processed food from my diet it has been really interesting finding replacements for things. I used to love Bounty Bars and have recreated a recipe that is dairy, gluten and refined sugar free! They are also really easy to make!
100g Shredded Coconut (Planet Organic Dessicated Coconut)
10g Coconut Flour (Biona Organic)
5 Tbsp Coconut Oil (melted) (Biona Raw Organic)
50g Maple Syrup (Shady Maple Farms 100% Pure)
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Bean Paste (Taylor & Colledge Organic)
30g Raw Cacao (Creative Nature)
10g Coconut Blossom Nectar (Biona Organic) – I add this to make the mixture slightly sticky as it gives a fudge like texture, you can leave this out if you want the chocolate layer to be solid.
20g Maple Syrup
40g Coconut Oil (Melted)
Pinch Himalayan Salt
Blend in a blender all of the ingredients for the filling adding a little water. It needs to be nice and sticky. Line a baking tray with baking/grease proof paper and spread the mixture over the baking paper so the filling lies about half an inch thick. Put into the freezer whilst you make the chocolate coating. To make the coating add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and silky. When this is ready take the coconut mixture out of the freezer. The mixture should be firm enough to cut into shapes of your choice and ready to dip into the chocolate coating. Once the coconut is dipped, place back onto the freezer and leave until set. Once they are set you can leave them in the fridge! Enjoy.
Raw Cacao (known as food of the gods) is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans. The process keeps the living enzymes in the cocoa and removes the fat (cocao butter). Raw Cacao has a slight bitter taste to it because of the process used to make it, which is why I add a little pinch of salt when using it in my recipes.
Some of the benefits of raw cacao are as follows:
- Lowers Insulin Resistance
- Protects your nervous system
- Reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Reduces blood pressure
- Guards against toxins: as a potent antioxidant, cacao can repair the damage caused by free radicals and may reduce the risk of certain cancers. In fact cacao contains far more antioxidants per 100g than acai, goji berries and blueberries. Antioxidants are responsible for 10% of the weight of raw cacao.
- Boosts your mood: cacao can increase levels of certain neurotransmitters that promote a sense of well-being. And the same brain chemical that is released when we experience deep feelings of love – phenylethylamine – is found in chocolate.
- It is rich in minerals: magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium, zinc, copper and manganese.